History of Lindsay Road N.S.
It all started when four Dublin City Presbyterian churches – Abbey, Scots, Ormond Quay and Union Chapel - bought land from Alexander Strain, a builder renowned for the quality of his work and with connections to Abbey. Another builder, Thomas Farquharson, won the contract to build Lindsay Road National School. Abbey Church was already running a school in Hardwicke Street and moved the school out to the new purpose built premises – a school with electric light, heating by ‘hot water apparatus’ and offering classes in cookery and science.
The foundation stone was laid on 25th June 1910 and the first pupils enrolled on 17th January 1911. Over the years other schools amalgamated with Lindsay Road School including the Methodist School on Clonliffe Road, which joined in 1945.
Lindsay Road National School celebrated its centenary in 2011. President Mary McAleese visited the school and unveiled a commemorative plaque.
Foundation Stone, laid by the Earl of Aberdeen, June 1910